Bona Traffic HD wood flooring waterborne finish is the industry standard for what is good and what is not. This finish has always set the bar to wear and chemical resistance. Contractors find that this finish is pretty easy to work with, dries fast and cures in 3 days. The finish comes in 3 sheens: extra matte, satin, semi-gloss. If you are looking for a strong waterborne finish on your hardwood floors, this is a great choice for durability.
With Traffic HD finish being cured in 3 days. Please follow these rules/steps:
- Before 4 hours – stay off the floor and air movement to a minimum.
- After 4 hours – walk on the floor in stocking feet. This will help mitigate any sort of scuffing and weird wear.
- After 3 days you can lift/place furniture down and begin using the floor as normal.
Bona Traffic HD Finish Advantages
- Cures in 3 days
- Dries fast
- Strong resistance to chemicals
- Wears great
- Industry standard
- Compatible with all Bona Sealers
What is the Bona Traffic HD Finish Spread Rate?
- 500 Sq Ft. / Gallon
Bona Traffic HD Product Description
Bona Traffic HD hardwood floor finish is a 2-component (part A is mixed with part B prior to application) waterborne hardwood floor finish which goes on clear and remains clear for the life of the floor. The recommended system is one coat of Bona oil based stain or one coat of water based sealer and two coats of Traffic floor finish. Coverage is 350-400 square feet per gallon. Bona Traffic HD is formulated specifically for high traffic commercial and residential hardwood floors. Bona Traffic HD provides unsurpassed durability in a wood floor finish. Comes complete with hardener, features:
- Unsurpassed durability—Bona Traffic HD out performs moisture cure finishes without the hazardous side effects, and with all the benefits of a waterborne finish
- The application feel of a solvent-based finish
- Faster curing rate allows quicker access to the floor
- Bona Traffic is clear and colorless, which highlights the true color of stained or natural wood floors. Will not change color over time, allowing for easy touch-up
- GREENGUARD certified for indoor air quality
- Classified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. as to slip resistance only, Control #21KM
- When applying Bona Traffic HD no sealer is needed over a stained floor.
- Exceptional build with excellent flow and leveling
- This product has a maximum VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) content of 210 grams per liter (1.8 pounds per gallon VOC).
- Fast drying – Approximately 2-3 hours
- Bona Traffic is nonflammable with a non-offending odor
- Water clean-up
- Bona Traffic HD Ingredients – Water, polymeric resin, dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether,2,6,8-trimethyl-4-
- nonypolyethylene glycol ether, and amorphous silica.
- Bona Traffic Color – Milky white (wet); Clear when dry.
- pH – 7.9
- Bona Traffic Solids – 34% (with hardener)
- Density – 8.70 lbs./gallon (1.04 S.G.)
- US Regulatory VOC Compliant – 210 g/L (with hardener)
- Coefficient of Friction – = 0.5
- Bona Traffic Gloss Levels – (60°) – 15-20 for Commercial Satin
- 40-45 for Commercial Semi-Gloss
- 65-70 for Commercial Gloss
- Odor – Non-offending, slight ammonia
- Stability – 1 year shelf life in unopened container
- Packaging – 1-gallon plastic bottle
- Clarity – Clear when dry
- Coverage – 350-400 square feet per gallon
- Leveling – Excellent
- Percent Cured After 24 Hours – 75%, 72 hours – 100%
- Defoaming – Excellent
- Maximum Cure – 100% after 3 Days
- Drying Time – 2-3 hours
- Pot Life – THE Bona Traffic / Hardener MIXTURE MUST BE USED WITHIN 4 HOURS AFTER IT IS MIXED. Product properties are diminished after 4 hours. The finish and hardener can only be mixed one time.
SDS Sheet – here.
How it Works
Bona Traffic Compatibility with stains and sealers: Bona Traffic HD will adhere to most oil based stains, sealers and finishes after proper preparation and dry times. Stain, sealer and finish results may vary widely depending on the wood species, especially on oily and resinous Exotics. ALWAYS PREPARE A SAMPLE OR TEST AREA TO DETERMINE COMPATIBILITY, APPEARANCE AND DESIRED RESULTS.
THE RECOMMENDED BONA TRAFFIC FINISH SYSTEM: Apply a Bona water based sealer (learn more about sealers here) or Oil based stain and 2 coats of Bona Traffic HD floor finish. Follow label directions. Adding a third coat of Bona Traffic is recommended in heavy-traffic commercial and residential areas.
Pro’s and Con’s
- Pro’s Reliability Con’s Cost
- Ease of Use Look
- Durability Customer Service
- Full supply of cleaning supplies
How well it performs
This is the Gold standard of Waterborne Finishes. It can be rolled, t-barred or padded on. The Bona Traffic works and has been proven over the years on many of the highest profile jobs. The price and the customer service have been a down side in the past but it looks as if Bona has heeded the criticism and is trying to change the image. Bona sells a retarder but when talking to sales reps in the past by adding water you can retard the drying the time and not buy into Bona for a retarder.
When thinking of a finish you need to consider a sealer and cleaner that go along with the package. I have no problems with the Bona sealers but the cleaner that is sold on every corner needs to be pulled from the shelves as it leaves a residue on the floor that competes with the sheen and coefficient of friction. The shelf life is One Year…. The question is how to read the hieroglyphics on the gallon to find out when the product is out of shelf life. Also the hardener can only be used once so this leads to a waste factor that needs to be factored in.
Price, availability and Customer Service is the top three things that you need to think about when you purchase a finish. Overall you can go wrong with the Bona Traffic.
- Bona US
- 2550 South Parker Rd., Suite 600
- Aurora, CO 80014
- Toll free in US and Canada: 800-872-5515
- Distributor order fax: 800-572-0211
- Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 800-872-5515 (7 a.m. – 5 p.m. MST)
- Technical and Training Questions
- 800-872-5515 (7 a.m. – 4 p.m. MST)
Overall Score 0 to 10 stars
10.0 Stars – This is the go to product for many contractors including me as I have relied on the product many times. Keep an eye out during the months of winter as the Bona traffic has issues when it gets cold or frozen. The same could be said when the product is out of shelf life of one year.
10.0 Stars – No problems here…. Stick to the recommendations provided by Bona and you should not have any issues.
8.0 stars –The Bona Company is proud of their finish and the price shows. Since having to use a hardener you do have to keep in mind that a portion of your finish will be thrown away as it is a one a done on the pot life.
Nik. F – :
Bona Traffic HD is designed for heavy traffic areas. It works great, easy to use all and all is an amazing product. We do a lot of commercial and Bona Traffic HD is the product we use for the most part. Amazing product.